Today I will share a simple dry Maharashtrian style preparation of green beans. It is cooked in flavorful spices and coated with grated coconut. It goes well with hot chapatis as well as rice.
I use French beans in salads, vegetable soups, curries etc. They make for an attractive little side dish too.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : Indian, Maharashtrian
200 Gms French beans
1 Small onion
2 Green chilies
1 Tablespoon grated coconut
1 Teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 Teaspoon garam masala
1/2 Teaspoon turmeric powder
Pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste
3 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon oil
- Wash and cut French beans into small pieces.
- Crush garlic and peppercorns together and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. When splutters add curry leaves, slit green chilies, chopped onions and salt. Sauté until translucent.
- Add in the crushed mixture and sauté it for a minute.
- Then, add French beans, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and red chili powder. Sauté and cover it with the lid. Cook for 5 minutes or till the beans are soft on a low flame.
- Later add grated coconut and mix well. Cover and cook again for 3-4 minutes.
Serve hot with chapati and rice.