Tomato dal is an Andhra cuisine. Dal is a staple in Indian homes and there are many variations of making dal, which vary from state to state. However Andhra style dal is neither hot nor spicy. This dal has the tanginess and the flavors of tomatoes. Here I have done the tempering first and then sautéed the garlic, green chilies and tomatoes. Later toor dal are added and cooked till done. The dish is best accompanied with steamed rice, pickle and vegetable stir-fry, where u will have a complete meal.
Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Total time : 15 minutes
Servings : 2- 3
Category : Main dish
Cuisine : Indian, Andhra
250 Gms toor dal
4 Medium size tomatoes
3 Green chilies slit
4-5 Crushed garlic
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
3 Cups of Water
Salt to taste
Pinch of asafoetida
2 Dried red chilies
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon oil
- Wash toor dal thoroughly with water at least for 3 times.
- Finely chop tomatoes and crush garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Allow it to splutter, when splutters put dried red chilies.
- Add crushed garlic, green chilies and salt. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until mushy.
- Now, add toor dal, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Sauté for few minutes on a medium flame.
- Add 3 cups of water and salt if needed.
- Stir well and pressure-cook the dal for 3-4 whistles.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with steamed rice, pickle and vegetable stir-fry.