Today I am here with another recipe with prawns or Chemmeen, which is known as Chemmeen roast. Prawns roast is a wonderful and most loved dish in Kerala. This is a perfect side dish if you’re hosting a lunch or dinner party. There are several different ways of making prawns roast. This one is the very simple yet delicious and purely nadan recipe.
Try and enjoy this simple yet tasty prawns roast with family.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 25 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : Kerala , South Indian
1 Cup prawns or chemmeen (cleaned)
1/2 Cup shallots
3-4 Green chilies
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger – garlic
1/2 Teaspoon black pepper powder
1/2 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 Tablespoon coriander powder
2 Teaspoons red chili powder
Tamarind pulp – Lemon size
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
2 dried red chilies
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
Salt to taste
- Clean and wash the prawns.
- Coarsely crush ginger and garlic.
- In a mud pot add prawns, black pepper, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, tamarind pulp and salt. Mix everything together.
- Cover and cook on a medium flame for 10-15 minutes or cook till the water from prawns get absorbed and the prawns are well coated with masala.
- Heat oil in a mud pot and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, dried red chilies, shallots, chopped ginger-garlic and green chilies. Sauté until translucent.
- Add in the cooked prawns and mix well. Fry it over a low heat for few more minutes or till both sides are crispy.
- When the prawns start to crisp and turn golden brown remove from heat.
- Serve and enjoy!