Today I plucked a bunch of fenugreek leaves from my small garden at home. So thought of preparing methi or fenugreek dal.
Since dal is a staple at home so I make variety of dal. We never get bored of dal so, I prepare Lasooni Dal Tadka, Moong dal, Kerala parippu, etc. You can go through my previous post. In this recipe I have used toor dal, but you can also make this dal with split red lentils.
The slight bitterness of the fenugreek leaves gets balanced with the subtle sweetness of the toor dal. If the fenugreek you get is too bitter, then just sprinkle some salt and keep aside for 15-20 minutes. Squeeze the leaves and then rinse them in water and then add these leaves to the tempering.
Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Total time : 15 minutes
Servings : 2- 3
Category : Main dish
Cuisine : Indian
1 Cup toor dal
1 Cup tightly packed fresh fenugreek or methi leaves
1 Small sliced onion
1 Tablespoon finely chopped ginger – garlic
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Tablespoon oil
2 Dried red chilies
Water as needed
Salt to taste
- Wash toor dal thoroughly with water and pressure cook with enough water and little salt for 3 whistles.
- Wash methi leaves thoroughly in running water and chop them finely.
- In a pan heat oil, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Allow it to splutter, when splutters put dried red chilies.
- Add garlic-ginger, sliced onion and salt. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add in the fenugreek leaves, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Sauté till the leaves wilt and oil leaves the sides of the mixture
- Now, add in the cooked dal and mix well. Add required water and salt if needed.
- Stir well and simmer the dal for another 5-6 minutes.
Serve hot with steamed rice and pickle.