Rice kheer is a very famous Indian dessert prepared in many households throughout India. The milk and rice are simmered for a long time till the rice is cooked and the milk turns a pinkish hue with a rich aroma, texture and flavor. To make this kheer more flavorful I always add almonds, raisins, cashews along with cardamom.
My husband and I prefer it cold, so I usually refrigerate it before serving.
Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 35 minutes
Total time : 40 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Dessert, sweet
Cuisine : Indian
4 Cups milk
1/4 Cup rice
1/4 Cup sugar
1 Teaspoon ghee
1/4 Teaspoon cardamom powder
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee and fry cashew nuts and raisins.
- Rinse the rice till the water gets clear of the starch.
- Soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and keep aside.
- Boil milk and add the soaked rice to the milk.
- Cook rice in a milk on a low flame.
- Keep stirring frequently so that it does not get burnt.
- When rice is cooked, mash it slightly and add sugar.
- When sugar dissolves, add cardamom powder, raisins, almonds and cashews.
Serve the rice kheer hot, warm or cold.