Gajar halwa is one of my favorite Indian dessert sweet recipe. Gajar halwa is made with carrots, milk, sugar and nuts, which are stirred and cooked together. There are several ways of cooking gajar halwa. You can use pressure cooker or the microwave. But, the real taste lies in taking the time cooking it over low flame continuously in an open pan.
So let’s get started.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 35 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Dessert, sweet
Cuisine : Indian
1 Cup boiled milk
250 Gms carrots
1/4 Cup sugar
2 Tablespoons ghee
4-5 Cashew nuts
- Rinse, peel and grate the carrots.
- Fry cashew nuts and raisins in a little ghee.
- In a thick-bottomed heavy pan heat ghee and fry the carrots a little.
- Add milk to it and cook on medium flame, bring the whole mixture to a boil and then simmer.
- While the mixture is simmering on a medium flame, keep on stirring in between.
- The grated carrots will cook in the milk and the milk will start to evaporate.
- Add sugar, remaining ghee and cook on low heat until it leaves the sides of the pan.
- Stir well and continue to simmer on a low flame.
- Add cardamom powder and garnish with cashew nuts and raisins.
- Serve gajar halwa hot,cold or at room temperature.