Maharashtrian masala bhaat is easy to make and fills your tummy, also satisfies your taste buds too. It is a delicacy from Maharashtra made with lot of spices and vegetables. It is also a wonderful Lunch box menu. Do try this flavorful rice and enjoy.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Rice
Cuisine : Indian, Maharashtrian
1 Cup basmati rice
1 Small sliced onion
2 Slit green chilies
1 Medium size carrot roughly chopped
5-6 French beans roughly chopped
1/2 Cup green peas
1 Tablespoon Ghee
Salt to taste
2 Cups of water
For the paste:
2-3 Dried red chilies
1 Tablespoon coriander seeds
1 Inch piece cinnamon
2-3 Cloves of garlic
1 Inch ginger
1/4 Teaspoon asafoetida
1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
1 Teaspoon turmeric powder
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 15 minutes. Drain the water completely and keep it aside.
- Dry roast the dried red chilies along with coriander seeds, pepper corns, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and cumin seeds.
- Place the spices in the blender and grind them. When it turns into powder add some garlic, ginger, turmeric, asafoetida and little water and grind it to make a fine paste
- Heat ghee in a pan, add slit green chillies, sliced onions. Sauté until translucent.
- Add the masala paste and sauté it for a minute.
- Add carrots, beans and green peas. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in a cup of soaked rice, water and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook till the rice is perfectly done.
Serve hot and enjoy.