Dum aloo is one of the most popular potato curry dishes in India. This dish is very easy to prepare and requires two main ingredients, potatoes and curd/ yogurt, which are always available in most of the Indian kitchen.
So let’s prepare dum aloo with cashew and kasuri methi flavored gravy at home.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Total time : 45 minutes
Servings : 3-4
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : North Indian, Punjabi
12-15 Baby potatoes
1.5 Tablespoon curd/ yogurt
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon kasuri methi
Water as needed
Salt to taste
For the paste:
1 Cup pureed tomato
1 Cup chopped onion
2-3 Green chilies
1 Inch ginger
5-6 Garlic cloves
1.5 Tablespoon cashew nuts
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
1 Teaspoon garam masala powder
For the seasoning:
3 pieces of cloves
3 pieces of cinnamon
- Wash and add potatoes to the cooker with enough water. Cook for 1 whistle. Once pressure releases open the lid.
- Peel them if you don’t like skin and prick with skewer/ toothpick or fork and shallow fry it till golden brown. Keep it aside.
- Puree the tomatoes and keep it aside.
- Soak cashew nuts in hot water and grind it to a fine paste.
- In a mixer add chopped onion, green chilies, garlic and ginger. Grind them into a smooth paste.
- Heat butter in a pan and add cinnamon, clove and cardamom.
- Add in the ground paste and salt. Sauté for 8-10 minutes.
- Once the paste dries up and darkens in color, add tomato puree. Stir well.
- Add in the spices and curd/yogurt.
- Cook gravy for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add fried potatoes and 1 cup of water.
- Add kasuri methi, mix well and cook with the lid on for 10-12 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with roti, pulao.