Dal is a good source of proteins and spinach is rich in antioxidants, folic acid and iron. This curry is made with ground coconut. It’s a healthy and comfort food with rice or roti.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 3 – 4
Category : Main dish
Cuisine : South Indian, Kerala
2 Cups of Palak/spinach – washed and chopped
1/4 Cup toor dal
1/2 Cup onion
1 Small tomato
2-3 Green chilies
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger and garlic
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
2 Dried red chilies
Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
Salt to taste
For the paste:
1/2 Cup grated coconut
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pressure cook dal with a pinch of turmeric powder for 3 whistles. Mash it well and keep it aside.
- Wash, discard the thick stem and chop spinach finely.
- Chop onions, tomato, ginger, garlic and green chilies finely.
- Grind coconut and cumin seeds with little water.
- Heat a pan and add oil, add mustard seeds once the mustard splutters add curry leaves, dried red chilies, onion, green chilies, ginger, garlic and salt. Sauté onions until transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes along with turmeric powder and red chili powder. Cook tomatoes until soft.
- Add the cooked dal to this and bring it a boil.
- Add spinach/palak and sauté for few minutes till the palak is cooked.
- Add in the ground coconut to the dal and cook it till the curry is thick.
Serve with steamed rice and enjoy!