Stuffed capsicum is a popular Punjabi dish. Stuffed vegetable dishes are quite popular in India like stuffed bhindi / okra, stuffed karela/ bitter gourd etc. For this dish you can use the red, green or yellow bell peppers or you can use all the three varieties together. For my dish I am using the green one.
Capsicum is stuffed with spicy potato filling and served with simple and hot Gravy!!!
Prep time : 10 minutes Cooking time : 20 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Side dish Cuisine : Indian
4-5 Medium size capsicum 4 Potatoes 1 Cup chopped onion 2-3 Green chilies chopped 1 Teaspoon finely chopped ginger 0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder 1 Teaspoon red chili powder 1 Teaspoon coriander powder 1/4 Teaspoon Amchur powder/ Dry mango powder 0.5 Teaspoon garam masala powder 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds 2.5 Tablespoon oil Cilantro Salt to taste
Preparing and stuffing:
- Pressure cook potatoes until soft, peel the skin and mash it slightly. Keep it aside.
- In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds. When it sizzles add onions, green chilies, chopped ginger and salt. Sauté till translucent.
- Now, add mashed potatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, amchur powder, cilantro and salt if needed. Mix every thing well.
- Cook on low flames for 4-5 minutes stirring in between and the stuffing is ready.
- Put off the flame and let it cool down for five minutes.
To make stuffed capsicums:
- Slice off the tops of the capsicum and scoop out the seeds inside carefully and fill it with the potato stuffing.
Method for cooking:
- Heat oil in a pan and add a pinch of turmeric powder and salt.
- Place the stuffed capsicums upright in the pan. Cover it and cook for about 5 minutes on a low flame.
- Check often after every 5 to 6 minutes and keep on changing the sides of the capsicum, so that all sides are cooked well. Check and turn the sides and cover the pan again.
- The capsicum will get golden and wrinkled.
- Continue to check, change the sides and then cover again till the capsicums are cooked well.