I love beans. When coupled with any veggies or rice, it turns into a wholesome meal that is high in protein. Pinto beans is known to contain cholesterol lowering fiber and including them in your diet can help to lowering the blood sugar level. The recipe I am preparing today is a tasty dish that is nourishing and delicious. Serve with rice or any regular bread.
Soaking time : 8 hours or overnight Preparation time : 15 minutes Cooking time : 30 minutes Total time : 45 minutes
Servings : 3 - 4
Category : Main course Cuisine : Indian Ingredients:
200 Gms - Pinto beans 1 Large potato 1 Cup finely chopped onions 1 Cup tomato cubes 2 Green chilies slit 1 Tablespoon chopped ginger- garlic 1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder 1 Teaspoon chili powder 1 Teaspoon cumin powder 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds 1 Teaspoon lemon juice Cilantro Salt to taste. Preparation:
- Wash and soak pinto beans overnight or at least for 8 hours.
- Pressure-cook the soaked pinto beans in about 3 cups of water until it is soft and tender. (Keep the stock, which can be used to prepare the gravy).
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter cumin seeds.
- Add onions, ginger-garlic, green chilies and salt. Sauté until it turns golden brown.
- Add potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes cubes, turmeric powder, red chili powder and cumin powder. Cook until oil separates from the gravy.
- Add boiled pinto beans to it with the stock. Add salt if needed. In case you feel the gravy is less, then you can add some more water into it.
- Cover the lid and cook for 15 minutes. When the pinto beans gets nicely blended turn off the heat.
- Squeeze lemon and garnish with cilantro.