Mutta roast or egg roast is one of the simplest and easiest dish in Kerala preparation. It is the most favorite dish among the people who drive on highway and of course like you and me.
I strongly recommend you to try this recipe. It has some unique flavor and taste going in this. The main flavor is because it gets roasted in oil till the outer skin of the eggs gets blistered. This makes the masala, which we add into this go deep inside the eggs and make it tasty.
Prep time : 15 minutes Cooking time : 15 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Side dish Cuisine : South Indian , Kerala
Ingredients: 2 Eggs 3/4 Cup sliced onion 3/4 Cup Chopped tomatoes 1 Tablespoon chopped ginger and garlic 1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder 1 Teaspoon red chili powder 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper powder
For the seasoning:
1 Tablespoon oil 1 Teaspoon mustard seeds 1 Spring curry leaves
- Place eggs in a vessel add 1/2 tsp of salt and enough water to cover the eggs. Bring water to boil over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Drain the water, pour cold water over it and peel the shell. Perfect hard-boiled eggs are ready.
- Make slits on the top and bottom, keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and sauté for a second.
- Add slices of onion, chopped ginger –garlic and salt. Sauté until golden brown.
- Then, add tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder and black pepper powder. Sauté till the tomatoes becomes soft and mushy.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of water if you feel the masala is dry and cook on a low heat for a minute.
- Now, add in the hard-boiled eggs, and mix until it is well coated with the masala.
- At the end on a high heat keep stirring the masala to get the nice crispiness on the eggs for few more minutes.
Serve mutta roast or egg roast with appam, parathas.