I love vegetable cutlets. You can make this with an assortment of veggies like the potato, carrots, beans and peas etc. you can also add beetroots if you like .It can be had as an appetizer or evening snack with tea. It is great for small parties and get-togethers. I usually serve with tomato ketchup and mint chutney.
Prep time : 15 minutes Cooking time : 20 minutes Total time : 35 minutes
Servings : 7-8 Cutlets
Category : Snacks Cuisine : Indian
Ingredients: 2 Medium size potato boiled and mashed 1 Onion 5-6 cashwnuts 1/2 Cup carrot 1/2 Cup beans 1 Tablespoon ginger-garlic paste 1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder 1 Tablespoon coriander powder 1 Teaspoon red chili powder Salt to taste Cilantro 1/2 Teaspoon lemon juice 2 tbsp maida /all purpose flour Bread crumbs -as needed Oil for shallow frying
For the seasoning:
1 Tablespoon oil 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pressure cook potatoes for 4 whistles or until soft. Once it cools down , peel the skin and mash it well.
- Finely chop carrots and beans. Pressure-cook the veggies with required amount of water until soft. Drain any excess moisture if left. Mash them well.
- Finely chop onion and grind ginger – garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter cumin seeds.
- Add ginger –garlic , cashwnuts, onion and salt. Sauté until translucent.
- Add cilantro, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Now add in the boiled vegetables and cook till it becomes dry.
- Take a mashed potato bowl add this mixture to it, lemon juice and mix well.
- Divide the mixture equally, make balls and then flatten it.
- In a bowl take maida and add water, mix and make a thick paste .Dip the prepared cutlet into the maida mix so that it is well coated.
- Then drop it gently into breadcrumbs and see to it that it is well coated with breadcrumbs on both the sides.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the cutlets until golden brown on both sides. You can even deep-fry if you want.
Serve with tomato ketchup and mint chutney.