Jeera rice is basically flavored with cumin and lightly spiced with whole garam masala. Jeera rice is one of the most popular rice dishes in restaurants. The tempering with cumin and fragrant whole spices, takes the simple rice dish a level up.
Jeera rice is very easy to make. You can make jeera rice for guests or special occasions and also for every day food when you want to add more flavors to rice.
Prep time : 5 minutes Cooking time : 15 minutes Total time : 20 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Rice dish Cuisine : Indian
1 Cup basmati rice 1 Inch chopped ginger Fistful – cilantro Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
1 Tablespoon ghee 2 Tablespoons cumin seeds 2 Cloves 1 Cardamom 2 Inch piece cinnamon
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 15 minutes. Drain the water completely and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add dry whole spices, sauté for a few seconds and then add jeera seeds.
- When jeera sizzles, add in the cilantro and sauté for a minute.
- Add the drained rice and fry on medium heat until the rice is well coated with the ghee.
- Add 2 cups of water and needed salt. Taste the water to check for salt.
- When water starts boiling, lower the heat and cook covered until the rice is soft.
- When the jeera rice is done, fluff the rice and serve hot.
Serve jeera rice hot or warm with a dal or vegetarian /non- vegetarian curry of your choice.