Okra is known as Vendakka in Malayalam and Bhindi in Hindi. It is very quick to prepare.It has many nutritional benefits; it’s high in vitamin C and k, low in calories.
The dish can be served as a side dish for rice, roti, parathas.
Prep time : 10 minutes Cooking time : 20 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Side dish Cuisine : South Indian ,Kerala Ingredients:
500 Gms okra or bhindi 1 Small onion 2-3 Garlic cloves 3 Green chilies 1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder 1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds 1 Tablespoon coconut oil 2 Strands curry leaves
- Wash the okras well, wipe it dry with a clean cloth. Then cut off the head and the tail and cut it into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds. When crackles put curry leaves.
- Add onion, green chilies, garlic, and salt. Sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Add okras, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover the lid and cook on a low flame until slightly cooked.
- Once cooked remove the lid and keep sautéing until all water evaporates completely .Cook till it changes color and is slightly crispy.