Healthy and protein rich recipe prepared with Quinoa Grains. Poha is a dish that is very popular in India. Traditionally in India it is made with flattened rice flakes called Poha. I’ve recreated it in the traditional poha breakfast by using some wonderful Quinoa instead.
Here is my version with quinoa, which has a mix of mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilies used for flavoring along with onion, potatoes, green peas and of course fresh cilantro for garnish.
Prep time : 15 minutes Cooking time : 20 minutes Total time : 35 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Breakfast Cuisine : Indian
1 Cup quinoa ,soaked and drained 1 Small sliced onion 2 Chopped green chilies 1 Inch ginger piece 1 Cup potato cubes 1/4 Cup green peas 1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder 1 Tablespoon oil 1 Teaspoon mustard seeds 2 Tablespoons roasted groundnuts Salt to taste 2 Cups of water Curry leaves Cilantro
- Wash and soak quinoa for at least 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Peel and wash potatoes, and cut it into cubes.
- Mince ginger or grind it coarsely.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds. When splutters, add curry leaves ,minced ginger, onion ,chopped green chilies and salt. Sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Add potato cubes and turmeric powder. Sauté and cook with the lid on for 2-3 minutes.
- Add quinoa and mix well. Add 2 cups of water. Cover and cook till the quinoa is completely done.
- When quinoa is almost cooked ,add in the green peas and mix well.
- Close the lid and allow it to rest for 5-6 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle roasted groundnuts ,cilantro and serve hot.