This is one of the easiest mutton recipes. Delicious mutton curry is made using mutton pieces with onion ,potato and tomato masala. This meal can be made easily in a pressure cooker, which is the way I have prepared. However cooking on a slower flame for about 2 hours is the more preferred method to make the meat more tender and flavorful.
This mutton curry is one of the best side dish for idli, dosa and rice.
Prep time : 10 minutes Cooking time : 30 minutes Total time : 40 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Main Cuisine : Indian
1 Kg mutton pieces 1 Cup chopped onion 1 Cup chopped tomato 1 Cup potato 3-4 Slit green chilies 1 Tablespoon ginger- garlic paste 1 Teaspoon garam masala 0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder 1.5 Tablespoon coriander powder 1 Tablespoon red chili powder 1 Teaspoon black pepper 2 Tablespoons oil 1 Cup water Cilantro Salt to taste
- Clean and wash the mutton pieces.
- Finely chop onions and tomatoes , slit green chilies .
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add onion, ginger – garlic paste , green chilies and salt. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add potatoes and sauté for 2-3 minutes . Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and coriander powder. Cook until oil separates from the gravy.
- Add in the mutton pieces and mix well until they are well coated with gravy.
- Add 1-cup water, and mix well. Cover the lid of the pressure cooker and allow it to cook for about 5-6 whistles on a low flame.
- Let the pressure escape from the cooker and then open it.
- Add black pepper and mix well. Add salt if needed and allow it to simmer for 3-4 minutes or till the gravy thickens.
- Switch off the heat and garnish with fresh cilantro.