Here is another easy and quick Kerala style prawns / chemmeen fry recipe. This is a spicy dish, well flavored with pepper and other spices. Spicy Prawns Roast is a typical Kerala Style seafood delicacy. It is also very popular in Kerala toddy shop menu.
Try this delicious recipe and enjoy the original Kerala taste.
Prep time : 10 minutes Cooking time : 15minutes Total time : 25 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Side dish Cuisine : Kerala , South Indian
1 Cup prawns or chemmeen ( cleaned) 1 Inch ginger 5-6 Garlic cloves 1/2 Cup shallots 3-4 Green chilies 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper powder 1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder 1/2 Tablespoon coriander powder 1 Teaspoon red chili powder 2 Tablespoons coconut oil 1 Cup water Curry leaves Salt to taste
- Clean and wash the prawns.
- Coarsely crush ginger and garlic.
- In a mud pot add prawns, crushed ginger-garlic ,black pepper, turmeric powder, red chili powder ,coriander powder and salt. Mix everything together.
- Add 1-cup water. Cover and cook on a medium flame for 10-15 minutes or cook till the water from prawns get absorbed and the prawns are well coated with masala.
- Now , heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves , shallots and green chilies. Sauté until translucent.
- Add in the cooked prawns and mix well. Fry it over a low heat for few more minutes or till both sides are crispy.
- When the prawns start to crisp and turn golden brown remove from heat.
- Serve warm with steamed rice and enjoy!