One of the most famous Punjabi dish . Chicken is cooked in rich Indian spices . Chicken Da Pyaza is a style of cooking with lots of onions, then garnished with Onion cubes and cilantro.
Prep time : 10 minutes Cooking time : 30 minutes Total time : 40 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Main Cuisine : Indian , Punjabi
500 Gms chicken 1 Cup onion + 2 onions cut into cubes 1 Cup tomato puree 5-6 Green chilies 1 Tablespoon chopped ginger – garlic 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds 0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder 0.5 Teaspoon cumin powder 0.5 Teaspoon garam masala 1 Tablespoon coriander powder 1 Teaspoon red chili powder 2 Tablespoons oil 1 Cup water Cilantro Salt to taste
- Clean and wash the chicken pieces.
- Cut onions into thin slices , slit green chilies and finely chop ginger-garlic.
- Puree the tomatoes.
- In a large nonstick heat oil and splutter cumin seeds.
- Add onion, chopped ginger – garlic, green chilies and salt. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add pureed tomato, turmeric powder, cumin powder, red chili powder,garam masala powder and coriander powder. Mix well.
- When the oil starts to separate , Drop the chicken pieces and mix well until they are well coated with gravy.
- Add 1-cup water, and mix well. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Then, add onion cubes. Cover and allow it to simmer for 5 more minutes , keep stirring in between.
- Switch off the heat and garnish with fresh cilantro.