Quinoa is a grain-like seed originally from Peru. It is known for its high protein, fiber and minerals. I love quinoa and try to include it in my diet at least twice a week. This dish is a slightly different take on how to use quinoa , you can have this dish as a soup or as a side dish to rice/roti.
For some reason I just love the way quinoa looks, having a cute tail. Try this simple Quinoa Moong Dal recipe and enjoy the health benefits.
Prep time : 5 minutes Cooking time : 15 minutes Total time : 20 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Main / Side dish Cuisine : Indian
1/2 Cup quinoa 1/4 Cup moong dal 1 Small sliced onion 1 Small tomato 2 Slit green chilies 1 Tablespoon minced ginger-garlic 1 Teaspoon cumin powder 1 Teaspoon red chili powder 1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder Pinch of asafetida 3.5 Cups of water 1 Tablespoon oil Salt to taste Lime juice Cilantro
- Wash quinoa and moong dal, soak for at least 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Mince ginger and garlic.
- Finely chop onion and tomatoes.
- In a pot, add quinoa and moong dal, 3 cups water and salt. Cook on medium heat until dal and quinoa are tender.
- In pan heat oil, add asafetida, minced ginger- garlic, onion, and green chilies. Sauté for few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cumin powder, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Cook until tomatoes become soft.
- Now, add the mixture into the cooked dal and quinoa. Add 1/2-cup water if needed.
- Bring it to a boil and remove from heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime juice . Serve hot.