Thoran is a typical Kerala recipe. A simple and healthy dish that can be served with rice. Beans thoran is made of garlic, onion, green chilies, grated coconut and seasoned with mustard seeds and dried red chilies, which makes the dish tastier. Beans thoran is one of the side dishes for Kerala sadya.
Prep time : 15 minutes Cooking time : 15 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Side dish Cuisine : South Indian , Kerala
250 Gms beans Salt to taste
1 Small onion 2-3 Green chilies 2-3 Garlic cloves 1/4 Cup grated coconut 1/4 Turmeric powder
3 Dried red chilies 1 Teaspoon mustard seeds 3 Shallots 1 Teaspoon coconut oil Curry leaves
- wash and cut beans into small pieces.
- Crush the ingredients given above and keep it aside.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds, when splutters add dried red chilies, curry leaves, shallots. Sauté till it is light brown.
- Add the chopped beans and salt. Mix well.
- Keep the flame low and cover it with the lid. Cook for 5 minutes or till the beans become soft.
- Once the beans are soft, add the crushed mixture and mix slightly.
- Cook for another 5 minutes covering the lid on a low flame, stirring occasionally. Check for salt.
- Now, remove the lid and keep sautéing until all water evaporates completely and gets crunchy.
Serve with rice, dal and pickle.
- You can also add 2-3 tablespoon of water to cook the beans.
- I personally don’t like to add water because vegetables contain water, which is more than enough for cooking.