Here is my another recipe with spinach, which has an important place in our diet. Add Spinach in your daily diet. This is a very tasty and healthy side dish. Spinach has high nutritional value and rich in antioxidants. You can also prepare this dish with drumstick leaves, I personally love this dish.
So let’s start to prepare spinach thoran with kerala style preparation.
Prep time : 10 minutes Cooking time : 20 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Side dish Cuisine : South Indian , Kerala
1 Bunch or 3 Cups spinach Salt to taste
1 Cup fresh-grated coconut 2-3 Garlic cloves 1/4 Cup shallots 2-3 Green chilies 1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
For seasoning :
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds 1 Teaspoon urad dal 3 Dried red chilies 2-3 Shallots Curry leaves Preparation:
- Clean and wash spinach well. Chop it finely and keep it aside.
- Crush the ingredients given above and keep it aside.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds, when splutters add urad dal, dried red chilies , curry leaves and shallots. Sauté till it is light brown.
- Add the chopped spinach and salt . stir well.
- Keep the flame low and cook covered. cook for 2 minutes or till the spinach wilts.
- Now, add the crushed mixture and mix well.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes without covering the lid on a low flame.
- Keep stirring in between so that it will not burn and turn off the flame.
Serve hot with steamed rice.
- You can use big onion also but using small onions gives more taste to the thoran.