This is a simple punjabi curry is very easy to make and yet flavorful. Basic ingredients like onions, tomatoes, ginger and garlic along with the regular Indian spices go into it.
They have a stronger and unique flavor. It can be cooked dry or with gravy. Today I am going to prepare in gravy version so let’s get started.
Soaking time : 8 hours or overnight Prep time : 10 minutes (excluding soaking time) Cooking time : 20 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Main dish Cuisine : North Indian
1 Cup Kala Channa 1 Medium size chopped onion 1 medium size chopped tomato 2-3 Green chilies 1 Tablespoon minced ginger – garlic 0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder 0.5 Teaspoon garam masala powder 1 Teaspoon red chili powder 1 Tablespoon Coriander powder 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds 1 Tablespoon oil Cilantro Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the channa overnight and pressure cook channa with a little salt and turmeric powder in about 2 cups of water for 6-7 whistles. Channa should be soft.
- Chop onion, tomato and green chili
- Mince ginger and garlic
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle cumin seeds, then add green chilies, ginger-garlic and onion. Sauté until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, remaining turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder. Cook till oil separates.
- Now, add the cooked channa and mix well. Add 1/2 cup of water and cook for a few minutes on medium flame until everything gets blended well with the masala. Add salt if needed.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve the kala chana with steamed rice, rotis or chappati.