Baingan bharta is yet another favorite punjabi dish made by roasting aubergine on direct flame. It is a simple but exotic curry with the distinct smoky flavor. Traditionally baingan bharta is made by roasting eggplant in a charcoal based tandoor, but at home we can use this in simple method of roasting it directly on stovetop. You can also grill the eggplant in an oven. This dish can be served with Roti, Chapati, Naan or any Indian bread of your choice.
Prep time : 15 minutes Cooking time : 25 minutes Total time : 40 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Side dish Cuisine : North Indian
1 Large eggplant 1 Cup finely chopped onion 1 Cup finely chopped tomatoes 2-3 Green chilies 1 Tablespoon ginger – garlic paste 1 Teaspoon red chili powder 1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder 0.5 Teaspoon garam masala powder 0.5 Teaspoon cumin powder 1 Tablespoon Coriander powder 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds 1.5 Tablespoon oil Pinch of Asafoetida Cilantro Salt to taste
- Wash the eggplant well, wipe it dry and apply oil all over the eggplant.
- Roast the eggplant over direct flame by rotating it all the sides so that skin turns black evenly all over. The skin will become charred all over. This gives the smoky flavor to the dish.
- Cool them by submerging it in a bowl of cold water for a few seconds.
- Remove skin and mash the pulp completely.
- Grind ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, when it crackles, add asafoetida, green chilies, ginger-garlic paste, onion and salt. Sauté until onions become light brown.
- Add tomatoes, along with turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Cook until tomatoes become mushy.
- Now, add the mashed eggplant to the tomato mixture .Add salt if needed and mix well.
- If the mixture is dry, then add 1/2 cup of water and cook for few more minutes.
Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.