Channa masala / Chole masala is a regular and popular Indian Vegetarian dish prepared with Kabuli channa. However, it is popular in almost all parts of the country and has different variations.
I often prepare this dish, as it is high in protein and also my favorite. I always see to it that I use protein in my daily intake. It is a fantastic side dish for chapati and pooris.
Soaking time : 8 hours or overnight Prep time : 10 minutes (excluding soaking time) Cooking time : 20 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Side dish Cuisine : North Indian
1 Cup White Channa 1 Cup chopped onion 1 medium size chopped tomato 2-3 Green chilies 1 Tablespoon ginger – garlic paste 0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder 0.5 Teaspoon red chili powder 0.5 Teaspoon garam masala powder 1 Tablespoon Coriander powder 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds 1 Tablespoon oil Cilantro Salt to taste Preparation:
- Wash and soak the channa overnight and pressure cook channa with a little salt and turmeric powder in about 2 cups of water for 5-6 whistles. Channa should be soft.
- Grind ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
- Finely chop onion, tomato and green chili
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle cumin seeds, then add green chilies, ginger-garlic paste and onion. Sauté till golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and all spice powder. Cook till oil separates.
- Now, add the cooked channa and mix well. Add 1/2 cup of water and cook for a few minutes on medium flame until everything gets blended well with the masala. Add salt if needed.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
N ‘ joy!!