Tomato rice is also known as “ Tomato bhaat “ in south India. Tomato rice is very healthy yet delicious rice recipe with tangy flavor of tomatoes. Whenever I feel lazy to cook, I usually prefer tomato rice with some salad or raita and pickle. And today I have a reason to prepare tomato rice as my husband is travelling this week and I am lazy to prepare anything for myself. So lets get started.
Prep time : 10 minutes Cooking time : 20 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Rice dish Cuisine : Indian
1-Cup Basmati Rice 4 Ripe big tomatoes 1 Cup onion sliced 2-3 Green chilies 1 Teaspoon ginger- garlic paste 1 Teaspoon turmeric powder 1 Teaspoon red chili powder 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds 2 Cups water Salt to taste
- Rinse the rice till the water runs clear of the starch.
- Wash and chop the tomatoes.
- Thinly slice onions.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and splutter cumin seeds .
- Add green chilies, ginger – garlic paste, onions and salt. Sauté till it turns translucent.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes along with the dry ingredients turmeric powder and red chili powder. Cook until oil separates.
- Add washed rice and 2 cups of water, mix well. Add salt if needed.
- Cover the lid and cook it on a high flame for 1 whistle.
- Turn off the flame, let the pressure cooker cool down completely.
- Serve hot with raita and pickle.