Cassava / Tapioca root known as “kappa” in Malayalam. It is a staple diet of malayalees in Kerala. They are packed with carbohydrates. There are two ways of preparing “kappa”. One is to prepare with green chilies and coconut, which can be accompanied with fish curry, chicken curry etc. and the other way of preparing “kappa “which I am going to prepare today is accompanied with steamed rice and green chili chutney. This could be consumed without any side dish as well. Flavored with curry leaves and fried red chili. Simple yet a delicious preparation.
Prep time : 10 minutes Cooking time : 10 minutes Total time : 20 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Side dish Cuisine : Kerala Ingredients:
2 Medium size cassava / tapioca root 1/3 Cup crushed shallots 2-3 Crushed Garlic cloves 3 Dried red chilies 0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder 0.5 Teaspoon red chili powder 1 Teaspoon mustard seeds 1 Tablespoon coconut oil 2 Strands curry leaves Salt to taste
- Remove the skin of tapioca root. Wash it well and cut it into cubes.
- Cook tapioca with enough water and salt until soft.
- Once it is cooked, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds. When crackles put dried red chili and curry leaves.
- Add crushed garlic and shallots along with turmeric powder, red chili powder. Add salt if needed. Sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Now, Its time to add cooked tapioca and mix well.
Serve and enjoy with spicy chutney.