Dal is a North Indian dish. This dal has flavors of tempered cumin, garlic, garam masala and red chili powder. Moong dal is extremely good with steamed rice accompanied by a side vegetable dish or raita and of course with papads and lime or mango pickle.
Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Main course
Cuisine : Indian
Ingredients: 1 Cup split moong dal 1 Medium size onion finely chopped 1 Medium size tomato, chopped 1 Tablespoon chopped ginger – garlic 2-3 Green chillies 0.5 Teaspoon cumin seeds 0.5 Teaspoon cumin powder 0.5 Teaspoon garam masala powder 0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder 1 Teaspoon red chili powder Pinch of Asafoetida 1 Tablespoon oil Cilantro
- Soak the dal in warm water for 15 minutes. Pressure cook with needed water and a pinch of turmeric powder for 3 whistles. Mash it well and keep it aside.
- Heat oil, add cumin seeds, when it splutters, add asafetida.
- Add chopped ginger-garlic, finely chopped onions, green chillies and salt. Sauté until they become golden brown.
- Add tomatoes, all the spice powder and cook until tomatoes become mushy and oil separates.
- Then add cooked dal, 2 cups of water and simmer over low heat for a few minutes.
Garnish with cilantro.