This dish has its origins in Mumbai and is available on almost every street corner. It is bread/bun served with mashed vegetables cooked with spices and topped with butter.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 4 Category : Fast food Cuisine : Indian, Mumbai
2 Onions finely chopped
3 Small potatoes boiled and mashed
1 Cup boiled vegetables (cauliflower, carrots, green peas)
0.5 Cup Capsicum finely chopped
4 Tomatoes chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger-garlic
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
2 Tablespoons of pav bhaji masala
Pav – as required
Salt to taste
- Pressure cook potatoes, peel the skin, mash it slightly and keep it aside.
- Chop all the vegetables into small pieces and boil.
- Heat some butter on a flat pan. Add chopped onions, chopped ginger – garlic and salt. Cook till the onions are brown.
- Add chopped capsicum and let it cook for 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes.
- Add pav bhaji masala, red chili powder. Cook the tomatoes well for 10-15 minutes till it become mushy.
- Add the boiled vegetables once the tomatoes are nicely cooked. Use a masher to mash the mixture.
- Add a little water if you find the mixture thick. Add cilantro and mix it well again.
- Now, slit the buns, apply butter and warm them on the same pan.
- Put some butter on the top of pav bhaji.
- Serve with hot bhaji topped with chopped raw onions and few drops of lemon juice.