Paneer tikka masala is a very popular Punjabi gravy dish that is available in every North Indian restaurants.
Paneer Tikka Masala is basically a combination of dry Paneer tikka with the heavy gravy. Paneer tikka is nothing but marinated cottage cheese cubes and vegetable pieces which are grilled on stove top or in the oven.
This dish is great for parties and will be a hit with guests also.
Prep time : 25 minutes Cooking time : 20 minutes Total time : 45 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Main course Cuisine : North Indian, Punjabi
For Paneer Marination:
200 Gms Paneer
0.5 Cup thick curd
0.5 Cup onion
1 Cup tomato
1 Cup capsicum (Green Bell Pepper)
1 Tablespoon ginger- garlic Paste
2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon garam masala powder
1 Teaspoon red chilli powder
1 Teaspoon coriander powder
1 Tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
Ingredients for Curry or Gravy:
2″ Inch Cinnamon Stick (Optional)
2 Cardomom (Optional)
1-2 Cloves (Optional)
0.5 Teaspoon cumin powder
0.5 Cup fresh cream
0.5 Cup fresh tomato puree
2-3 Finely chopped green chili
2 Teaspoon kasuri methi
1 Teaspoon corn flour
1 Teaspoon sweet tomato sauce
2 Tablespoon Oil
Salt to taste.
- Cut paneer into cubes, capsicum, onion and tomato into big square pieces.
- Take thick curd in a bowl; add salt, garam masala powder, coriander powder, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice and oil. Then add paneer, capsicum and tomato. Mix well and keep it aside for 1 hour. Let it marinate.
- Paneer Tikka is basically made with exposing the Paneer pieces to direct fire heat on a grill. You can use that method as well if you have the set up.
- Here I am using a slightly different method of shallow frying the Paneer pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame and add the marinated Paneer including vegetables pieces. Roast/shallow-fry on medium flame for a minute and then turn the flame on high. Let it cook until Paneer and vegetables turn light golden brown in color.
- Keep an eye to avoid burning. Once it’s done take it in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the dry whole spices.
- Add fresh tomato puree and chopped green chilies along with kasuri methi, Sweet tomato sauce, cumin powder, diluted Corn flour and salt. Let it simmer on medium flame for a minute.
- Then, add fresh cream and Paneer Tikka and mix well.
- Switch off the flame, and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with Naan, chapati.