Palak paneer is a popular north Indian recipe cooked using spinach and cottage cheese. I must say everybody should have green leafy vegetable at least twice a week. It is good for digestion as well. People who are lactose intolerant can substitute tofu for paneer.
Prep time : 10 minutes Cooking time : 20 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Main course Cuisine : North Indian, Punjabi
250 Gms cottage cheese (paneer)
Spinach/Palak leaves- 3 cups firmly packed
1 Medium sliced onion
1 Tablespoon finely chopped garlic
3-4 Green chillies
1 Teaspoon garam masala powder
I Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
- In a bowl take hot water and dip cottage cheese (paneer) in it and set aside.
- Bring water to boil. Add spinach leaves and cook for 3-4 minutes. Once it cools, grind it to a smooth paste with cilantro and keep it aside. Our spinach/palak puree is ready.
- Now, heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- When splutters add sliced onions, finely chopped garlic, green chillies, garam masala and salt. Sauté till translucent.
- Add spinach puree and add little water , keep stirring.
- Cut paneer into cubes and add it to the mixture, mix well. Allow it to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with chapati.