Beetroot Pachadi is a traditional south –Indian dish. Pachadi is a side-dish similar to the North Indian raita.
Beetroot Pachadi is usually served in sadya for special occasions. This Pachadi is made with cooked beetroot and plain curd ,which has a sweet taste.
Prep time : 10 minutes Cooking time : 20 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Side dish Cuisine : South -Indian, Kerala
Ingredients: 250 Gms beetroot 0.5 Cup thick curd Pinch of turmeric powder Salt to taste For the grinding: 0.5 Cup grated coconut 1-2 Green chillies 1/2 Inch ginger piece 1 Teaspoon Mustard seeds 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin seeds
For the seasoning: 1 Tablespoon coconut oil 0.5 Teaspoon Mustard seeds 1-2 Dried red chillies Curry leaves
- Grate beetroot and keep it aside.
- Grind coconut, green chillies, ginger, cumin seeds and mustard seeds to a smooth paste.
- In a pan cook grated beetroot, and add salt, turmeric powder with less water till soft.
- Once the beetroot is cooked (softened) well, transfer the ground paste to the pan and cook for few more minutes on a low flame till the raw taste of the coconut goes. Allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile beat the curd in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Transfer the beaten curd to the pan and warm it (do not allow it to boil).
- For seasoning, heat coconut oil and add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add dried red chillies, curry leaves and pour it over the pachadi.