Puli inji is a traditional Kerala pickle prepared during sadyas. It is one of the favorite dishes of almost all keralities. Puli inji is known for its special flavours ginger,green chillies,tamarind and jaggery. It can store and refrigerated like pickles.
Total time : 15 minutes Prep time : 15 minutes Cooking time : 30 minutes Category : Side dish Cuisine : Kerala ,South Indian Ingredients: 100g Finely chopped ginger 50g Tamarind Jaggery – Lemon sized ball 5 Shallot finely chopped 6 Green chillies finely chopped 1 Teaspoon red chilli powder 0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder 1 Teaspoon mustard seeds 1 Tablespoon coconut oil Few curry leaves Salt to taste. Method:
- Soak the tamarind in a cup of hot water for 15 to 20 minutes. Squeeze and extract the juice and set aside.
- Take a thick bottom kadhai or a pot and pour the tamarind juice and salt, bring it to a boil and keep that aside.
- Now, heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, when it splutter add curry leaves, finely chopped shallot , chopped green chillies, chopped ginger along with the dry ingredients turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Sauté till brown colour.
- Then, add jaggery to the tamarind water and allow it boil.
- Later pour the mixture to the cooked tamarind water, reduce the flame and allow it boil until the mixture is thick.