Moru kachiyathu is a simple curry prepared frequently in most of the houses in Kerala. This curry is made with curd which is soothing to the stomach, also helps in digestion. I remember my mom, preparing this curry along with coconut chutney and white rice. This spicy moru curry is wonderfully flavored by ginger, fenugreek, curry leaves and other spices.
Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 5 minutes
Total time : 10 minutes
Servings : 5
Category : Main dish
Cuisine : South Indian, Kerala
3 Cups curd whisked or thick butter milk (should be a little sour)
1 Small sliced onion
1 Small piece finely chopped ginger
2-3 Garlic cloves
2 Green chillies split lengthwise
0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
0.5 Teaspoon mustard seeds
0.5 Teaspoon fenugreek seeds
0.5 Teaspoon red chilli powder
2 Dried red chilli
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds. When it splutters, add dried red chili and curry leaves.
- Now, add sliced onion, finely chopped ginger and garlic, slit green chilies along with red chili powder. Sauté it for a minute.
- When it is cooked remove it from flame and allow it to cool. This is very important so that the curd, which is added next, does not curdle.
- In a bowl take the whisked curd or thick butter milk with enough salt and turmeric powder added to it and mix well.
- Pour this mixture and combine it well.
- Serve with rice and coconut chutney.
Use sour curd to get the proper taste.