Dal Fry is a popular Indian lentil recipe. This dish is an ideal choice for a quick evening meal. This is something you often find served at Indian restaurants.
Prep time : 10 minutes Cooking time : 15 minutes Total time : 25 minutes
Servings : 4 Category : Main course Cuisine : Indian
1 Cup tuvar dal / arhar dal
2 to 2.5 cups of water for pressure cooking the dal
1 Medium chopped onion
0.5 Cup tomato
2 Green chilies finely chopped
1 Tablespoon finely chopped ginger- garlic
0.5 Teaspoon cumin seeds
0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder
0.5 Teaspoon red chili powder
0.5 Teaspoon Garam masala powder
Pinch of asafoetida
1 Tablespoon ghee
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak arhar dal in water, for at least half hour. Dal will be double in volume after soaking. Drain the water.
- Pressure cook the dal with 2-2.5 cups of water. Allow 6 whistles on high heat.
- Heat ghee in a pan and splutter cumin seeds. Add a Pinch of asafoetida, finely chopped onion, chopped green chilies, chopped ginger-garlic, and salt. Sauté till onions become light brown.
- Now, add Tomato along with the dry ingredients red chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder. Cook until tomatoes turn tender and mushy.
- Add pressure cooked dal, mix well and cook for a minute.
- Now ,add 1 cup of water and cook for 3-4 minutes on a medium flame.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot!!