Kadala curry is a very popular and traditional dish in southern part of India especially in Kerala. It is so easy to prepare and tastes great. Kadala curry goes well not only with appam and puttu but also with dosa, idiyappam and chapati.
Soaking time : 8 hours or overnight Preparation time : 15 minutes Cooking time : 30 minutes Total time : 45 minutes
Servings : 4
Cuisine : Kerala, South Indian
Category : Main course
2 Cups Black chana or Kadala 1 Cup finely chopped onions ¾ Cup grated coconut 1 Tablespoon ginger garlic paste Water
Dry spices 1 Teaspoon garam masala powder 1.5 Teaspoon coriander powder 0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder 1 Teaspoon chili powder Salt to taste.
2 Tablespoon coconut oil
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
2 Dried red chilies
Few curry leaves.
- Wash and soak black chana overnight or at least for 8 hours.
- Pressure cook the soaked chana along with little onion, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt in about 3 cups of water . Allow 7 -8 whistles .This should be ideal to adequately cook the chana.
- Heat oil in a pan and add granted coconut, remaining chopped onions and coriander powder. Roast the coconut till they turn golden brown.
- Grind the mixture to a fine paste.
- Add the paste to the chana and bring it to boil.Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Now for seasoning ,in a pan heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, put broken dried red chillies and curry leaves.