Palak chana dal or spinach dal is a very quick and healthy dish made from spinach and chana dal. Spinach and dal has a high nutritional value and is extremely rich in iron, fiber, protein and many vitamins.
Daal is a staple in most Indian households and pretty much had on a daily basis. I have prepared it with chana dal, you can also use moong dal and tur dal to prepare the dish.
Prep time : 10 minutes Cooking time : 20 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 5
Category : Main course Cuisine : Indian
Ingredients: 300g Chopped spinach 100g Chana dal 1 Medium chopped onion 2 Dried red chillies 2-3 Green chillies (Optional) 1 Tablespoon finely chopped ginger- garlic 0.5 Cup tomato 0.5 Teaspoon cumin seeds 0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder 0.5 Teaspoon red chilli powder 0.5 Teaspoon Garam masala powder 1 Teaspoon coriander powder Pinch of Asafetida 1 Tablespoon oil Cilantro Salt to taste Method
- Pressure cook dal and spinach with turmeric powder for 4 whistles. Mash it well and keep it aside.
- Now, heat oil in a pan and splutter cumin seeds ,put dried red chillies and fry them .
- Add finely chopped onion, green chillies, chopped ginger-garlic, Asafetida and salt. Sauté till onions become light brown.
- Now add Tomato along with the dry ingredients red chilli powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder. Sauté till the tomatoes are soft.
- Then add the cooked spinach and dal to the mixture. Mix well and bring everything to boil.Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with chapati or hot steamed rice.