Rajma masala is one of my favorite comfort recipes. Rajma is red kidney beans. It is one of the most widely prepared Punjabi vegetarian dishes. We can make rajma in many ways: Dry rajma and rajma with gravy. Enjoy this wonderful recipe with naan, roti, parathas and rice.
Soaking time : 8 hours or overnight
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Total time : 45 minutes
Servings : 3 – 4
Cuisine : Punjabi, North Indian
Category : Main course
1 cup or 200 Gms – Dried Rajma or Red kidney beans
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 Cup finely chopped onions.
1 teaspoon garam masala
1.5 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1-2 green chilis
Salt to taste.
- Wash and soak rajma overnight or at least for 8 hours.
- Pressure cook the soaked rajma in about 3 cups of water until rajma is soft and tender.
(Keep the stock which can be used to prepare the gravy).
- Heat oil in a pan, fry cumin seeds. Then add chopped onions and salt. Saute it till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste, green chilli and fry till cooked.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder, saute it till tomatoes become soft.
- Add boiled rajma to it with the stock.
In case you feel the gravy is less, then you can add some more water into it.
- Cover the lid and cook for 15 minutes. When the rajma gets nicely blended turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro